While we were all enjoying being out in the sunshine this summer, our hair took quite the toll. Most of my clients were coming in with faded color, scorched ends, squeaky, dry chlorine hair and dull, lackluster curls.
This is all due to swimming in the ocean or the pool, and being outside in the sunshine letting the heat lift the color out and the protein to seep from the hair shaft.
Chlorine, salt water and heat all lift the outer part of the hair which exposes the underlying pigment of the hair and lets the amino acids and protein bonds that keep the hair healthy to leave the hair.
So, what's a girl to do? Protect and treat your hair the following ways:
- Always use a sunscreen/protectant for your hair when you get out of the shower! For Curly girls, use Ouidad's Heat and Detangle Spray ,or all other hair types, Uniq-one Hair Treatment.
- While in and out of the ocean or pool, always rinse your hair with fresh water to remove the water that eats away at your hair, and then rehydrate with botanical extracts and vitamin b-5 found in Ouidad's Botanical Boost. It's a light, leave in conditioner that you can spray in wet or dry hair of all types, so there's no excuses for tangles and frizz! Alternatively, you could use the Heat and Detangle spray mentioned above on wet hair.
- When you get home from swimming in a pool, please wash with Ouidad's Water Works or Paul Mitchell's Shampoo Three to remove the chlorine build up.
- Wear a hat! There are so many cute fedoras or oversized beach hats to look stylish while you're on the beach or out and about. For those active types, wear a real hat - a visor isn't going to cut it - you need to cover your hair if you don't want your color to fade to brassy tones!
- Go to the salon for a professional deep treatment! It's so worth it to add body, shine and luster back into your hair.
- Use strengthening/ building products at home like Ouidad's Nourishing Cleansing Oil Shampoo and Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Cream Rinse.
- If you can't make it to the salon for a deep treatment, try an at home one: Ouidad's Melt Down Mask, Deep Treatment, Mongongo Oil, or Triple Treat are all great for Curly Girls and others hair types alike. I also like Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Intensive Treatment, or Marula oil Masque.
- You may also consider taking Healthy Hair Tablets to nourish and strengthen from within in case your diet and lifestyle veered way off from course!
There you have it! All that fun may require some repair, but you're armed with all your hair self care practices now.
Enjoy the last few weeks of summer and be sure to take care of that hair!